Introducing the iBlood Test iPhone App!

My second iPhone app went live on the app store today – actually I should say our

iBlood Test is a humorous app that lets you test others for a variety of STDs by drawing blood and running lab tests.  Users simply place the iBlood Test needle up to their patient's arm and draw back the syringe.  Within seconds a centrifuge starts processing the information and a blood test results page will list any diseases that the patient tested positive for.  iBlood Test screens for various diseases like Herpes, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and more.  At the end of the test, a Petri dish shows the diseases and bacteria laughing back at you!

Russ also made a kid's version of iBlood Test that eliminates the adult subject matter.  With iBlood Test Kids, they get tested for everything from Alien Plague to Zombieosis!  All in all we will have four versions of iBlood Test available on the app store: iBlood Test, iBlood Test FREE, iBlood Test Kids, iBlood Test Kids FREE.  Right now we are holding off on the free versions.

When doing my research for this app, I did not find anything even remotely similar to iBlood Test available on the app store.  I have no way of predicting how well this app will do, but I have seen many other humorous apps break into the top 50 in their category.  One example is an app called Stool Scanner which you can check out here: Stool Scanner.  Now, if this app made the top 25 (which it did at one point), you can’t tell me that iBlood Test cannot have similar results!

You can see funny YouTube promo video of iBlood Test in below…

One of the crucial points in a new app’s life is the initial feedback it gets from the first few people who download it.  A few one star ratings can send a new app plummeting and conversely, a few five star ratings can quickly build buzz for a new app.  This is where you come in.  I rarely ask anything of my readers – but today I am asking you for a favor.  If you have an iPhone, please take the time to download  iBlood Test or iBlood Test Kids and if you feel we deserve it, give us a positive review and a 5 star rating.  This would really help get iBlood Test off to the right start!

Russ and I purchased a small block of AdMob’s advertisements that will be displayed on other apps.  Hopefully these ads will attract people enough to visit iBlood Test in the app store and take the time to download it.  I am also doing additional marketing for the app, which includes building a website and emailing all of the app review websites in hopes of a positive review.

This is a crossroads for me when it comes to pursuing and developing iPhone apps.  Should iBlood Test fail, chances are that I won’t be creating other apps.  But if we succeed and create some nice residual income, I have no problem investing those earnings into additional iPhone apps.  It’s not that I would be “giving up” should iBlood Test fail; it is just that I know that of the 40 or 50 ideas that I came up with, iBlood Test was by far the best and most unique.  If this one doesn’t make it, those others certainly don’t stand a chance.

You can view the first two paid versions of iBlood Test in the app store at the links below:

iBlood Test

iBlood Test Kids

Let us know what you think about iBlood Test and feel free to give your feedback in the comment section below.  At the end of the month you will be able to see my earnings report for June which will include exactly how well iBlood Test did.  You will see both the paid app earnings as well as the payment from AdMobs.  To close, I’d like to thank Russ for all of his hard work and his ability to put up with someone like me, who’s not very “tech savvy”! THANKS RUSS!

Best regards,

Michael-John Wolfe

Tags: make money online, residual income, royalties

19 Comments to “Introducing the iBlood Test iPhone App!”

1. MJ Wolfe 6 June 2010 at 5:41 am #

Thank you Murray! I traded in my blackberry for an iPhone and I’m glad I did! Texting is a little more difficult though!

MJ

2. George185 6 June 2010 at 6:50 am #

Yeah… that is one great idea. I think it will do very well.

3. MJ Wolfe 6 June 2010 at 7:47 am #

Hi Evil Sticks! I appreciate your input – I think maybe we will add some text in the app decsription that instructs users to “pull the syringe all the way back” — this is the kind of feedback we need! Thank you!

MJ

4. MJ Wolfe 6 June 2010 at 8:57 am #

Thanks George! I hope so! I am taking the day off work to market it as much as possible online!

MJ

5. Deneil Merritt 6 June 2010 at 9:16 am #

Good luck with the app. Such a cool way to make money.

6. Russ 6 June 2010 at 9:31 am #

I’m so stoked that the app is done and on the app store. I think it has a lot of potential.

Everyone I showed it to thought it was very funny so that was a very positive signal when creating it.

I also made an Android version of the app, so if you have an Android phone you can get it at the market by searching for ‘iBlood Test’ or search for the package name, com.javoid.BloodTest. I haven’t made the full conversion for the Kids yet – coming soon.

I really hope this app does well. I have more in-depth apps I’d like to make but I don’t have the funds to pursue them. I’m hoping this app will be the one that breaks a few grand and makes it so working on larger projects are possible!

7. Murlu 6 June 2010 at 5:39 pm #

Hey MJ and Russ

Congrats on completing the app and I hope all goes well with the launch. Thanks for letting us in on the behind-the-scenes of the launch – plenty of information just in this post for others to get started :)

I like the idea of novelty style apps because we need more fun with our phones. Sure many businesses create business style apps but things like the iBlood test gives you a great smile; we need more of this.

I hope I can snag an iPhone soon. I love my blackberry but iPhone apps really make it tempting to get one.

Best of luck you two!

8. EvilSticks 6 June 2010 at 7:46 pm #

I enjoy your blog and found the concept amusing so downloaded the app.

My first go I didn’t pull the needle down far enough, so couldn’t work out why it wasn’t progressing to the results screen. Maybe text advising to keep pulling until the needle is the whole way down?

Could be a bit of a hit with a group of friends having a few drinks.

Good luck to you for trying something different!

Cheers,

ps: I have mono, trich and gonorrea.

9. Russ 6 June 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Wow – we’re in New & Noteworthy in the entertainment section!

Thanks to all of you for all your support!

10. Rick McBride 7 June 2010 at 10:45 am #

It sounds like you may have a winner here. You did your homework and picked something unique. The face that it’s already in New and Noteworthy is a great sign. Good luck!

11. MJ Wolfe 8 June 2010 at 4:28 am #

Thanks Rick! This morning we are #4 in New & Noteworthy for the Entertainment section! What’s funny is that the Kids versions is the one doing so well!

MJ

12. Bristolboy 8 June 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Well done – this is very interesting. Would love to give it a go but my personal phone runs on Android and work phones is a Blackberry so can’t test yet – but maybe in time it will be ported across…

13. Pat 8 June 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Dude, saw you on the front page of entertainment in the New & Noteworthy section! Job well done!!!

14. MJ Wolfe 8 June 2010 at 4:17 pm #

Thanks man! I learned from the best! ;)

MJ

15. Russ 8 June 2010 at 8:35 pm #

Thanks Pat!

Bristolboy – It’s available for Android too! Just search ‘iBlood Test’ in the Android Market!

We don’t have any ratings yet in the Android version yet. I think it’s because we didn’t market at all for that platform.

If any of you have an Android phone, please give it a go – remember you can always return an Android purchase if you’re not happy with it – but we hope you’ll love it!

16. Bristolboy 9 June 2010 at 11:32 am #

Will give it a go on Android – although may end up deleting since I only have a limited amount of memory left on my phone.

17. dougster77 9 June 2010 at 11:35 am #

Hi MJ,
    I am serious about having an app freelanced and I contacted your developer but I am having a difficult time doing the research. Other than the search bar at the itunes store is their an easier way to search out ideas/competitors?

18. MJ Wolfe 9 June 2010 at 6:14 pm #

Hi Doug – let me tell you that it is really tough to come up with good ideas that aren’t taken. i have a strange tecnique for coming up with ideas — I pick what could be the end of various words and I go through each word and brain storm ideas. For example I would choose words ending in “ie” and I’d go through the whole alphabet adding an “i” before the word and the “ie” after the word. For example, in this case I might come up with “iLie” – an Lie Detector app, “iTie” – an app that teaches you how to tie different tie knots. — both of these ideas are already taken, but you get the point. If I found nothing with “ie”, I’d choose a different ending, like “eek” — iFreak, iGeek, iSeek, etc. and I’d go through all of the possibilities with each term. Sounds weird – but it works for me! Good luck!

MJ

19. dougster77 11 June 2010 at 1:23 am #

MJ,
    Thanks for the advice on researching apps as that helps narrow the search down.